Wednesday, February 16, 2011

For Your Consideration.................A Mockumentary

For Your Consideration
PG-13

Christopher Guest.  For those of you familiar with his work, all I need to add is "takes on the film industry" and you are good to go.  For those that aren't.......well...........where the heck have you been.  (joking) (sort of)  Seriously though, for those that aren't, Guest is the master of the mockumentary.  A genre that has the feel of a documentary but in reality it's poking fun at it's subject.  In this particular movie, we watch as the fake film "Home for Purim" is made and Hollywood buzz is created.

All of the actors that Guest likes to use are here.  Catherine O'Hara rocks it as a work a day actress. Ed Begley Jr.made me laugh as a makeup artist. Eugene Levy, Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Lynch, Fred Willard, Micheal McKean, and Parker Posey all show up plus a bunch of new folks. (I almost certainly forgot someone there so if you notice who it was, put it in the comments and I will add it.)  Sandra Oh's cameo was the biggest surprise for me. These are terrific comedic actors and it is a treat to watch such a cast

Things you need to know before viewing


1) This one has a much more solemn undertone than most of the mockumentaries.  I am guessing this subject is a little close too home for the people involved in making it and that always complicates things.  Parts of it border on heart breaking.  It is still really funny though.

2) My biggest disappointment was that Jane Lynch has a small role.  A picture of her makes me smile. When she walks onto the screen I giggle.  When she played Julia Child's sister in Julie and Julia, she stole the whole movie for me.  Can't explain it.  Just love her.

What about the kids?

PG-13 is about right.  Nothing egregious.  Just adult themes.

Currently available on Netflix Instant Viewing and on DVD

Four Stars- "Really Like It"



4 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I've never heard of a mockumentary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth- Check out Best In Show. It is my favorite Christopher Guest film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best in Show is my favorite, too. But I also liked A Mighty Wind. (The title alone makes me laugh!)

    Thanks for this recommendation Kelly. I didn't even know this one was out there. I am definitely putting this one in my queue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Susan. I like A Mighty Wind too! But you can only have on favorite. LOL

    ReplyDelete