Friday, March 4, 2011

Amexicano............It's Complicated

Amexicano
PG-13

Not your grandma's movie about illegal immigration and stereotypes.  Okay, so it doesn't have the same ring as "not your grandma's Oldsmobile" but you get the idea.  This is a complicated movie about a complicated issue.  I have never seen another film like it.

Bruno is a blue collared guy from Queens who is unemployed and at the end of his benefits.  Things have gotten bad enough that he  finds himself working with illegal day laborers, something he neither agrees with or enjoys. Ignacio, one of the laborers, befriends Bruno and as the relationship grows, Bruno is forced to reconsider his preconceived notions.

This is one of those indie films that is clearly done on a small budget and it has that kind of feel to it.  At the start of the movie it bothered me a bit, but the script and acting are both well done and soon enough I forgot about the rest.  I finished this movie before I went to bed last night and I went to sleep thinking about it.  I woke up thinking about it.  I expect this to be a film that sticks with me.

What to know before viewing


1) Carmine Famiglietti, who plays Bruno, is also the writer of this.  I hope he gets more work from it.

2) Manny Perez, whom I remembered from the movie Bella, plays a terrific bad guy.  You don't like his character from the moment you see him.  He plays right into all of Bruno's stereotypes about illegal immigrants and ironically ends up being a citizen of the U.S.

3) The ending.  There is not much I can say without spoiling it.  I will say this.  I didn't expect it to end when it did and it ticked me off a little at first.  But the more I think about it the more I see why it ended there.

What about the kids?


I think PG-13 is about right.  This movie is disturbing but in a way that really challenges your thinking.  A teen that is up to the challenge would probably enjoy this film.

Currently available on Netflix Instant Viewing and here


4 Stars- "Really Liked It"


I keep debating with myself about the stars on this one but 4 is what I went with right after I watched it so I think I will stick with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment