Monday, July 25, 2011

Father of the Bride

Father of the Bride
PG

In spite of the fact that I have not seen this movie in years, and I mean since it was in the theater in 1991 years, I think about it a lot.  While that may seem a little odd to some, there is a good reason for it.  My oldest son, who heretofore will be known as The Athlete, is a ginormous Brad Paisley fan.  Mr. Paisley is married to Kimberly Williams, who is now officially Kimberly Williams-Paisley.  Brad Paisley has song in which he mentions going to see this movie with a date other than his now wife.  Here it is for anyone who hasn't heard the song.  It is even the very first part for the impatient. So anyway, one Friday night when we were casting about for a family night film, this one came to mind.








Does it hold up?

The short answer would be yes it does.  But when have I ever stuck with the short answer?

My kids in particular thought it was hysterical.  Even my husband, who had somehow missed seeing this before (SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!?) thought it was funny.  I confess that I did not find it as funny as I remembered it being but I had a terrific time watching my kids and husband laugh, so that made up for it.  The scene where Steve Martin is lurking around the future in-laws house is a classic and had us all rolling.

 And you know a movie is a hit when the family goes around quoting it to each other for several days afterwards.  There was a downside to the quoting thing as the one line I wish had NOT been in the movie was the most likely to be quoted.  Remember early in the film when the family is meeting the fiance and the flustered Dad says "be sure to fasten your condom"? Yeah, I didn't remember that part either.  But I do now.  Around here we just call it a teaching moment and we had the pleasure (and I use that term loosely) of pausing the movie and having an impromptu conversation of different means of birth control.  YEAH.  Note the fellow to the right for my true feeling on that.  Not a bad thing of course.  Just not a top drawer Family Night activity. 


What to know before viewing?

1) Steve Martin looks way younger upon this viewing than he did the first time around.

 2) I will save you a Google.  Yes the little brother is a Culkin.

3) I will save you a second Google.  Yes the flamboyantly gay wedding planner sidekick is the same guy from Law and Order Special Victims Unit.  Kudos to him  too cause it is such a different role and both are done well enough it took me a LONG time to place him.  He doesn't even look like he has aged.  Way to go B.D.Wong on good genes, a good cosmetic surgeon, or both.

4) Here is what Common Sense media had to say on the matter.  I think they are about right though I did let my 6 year old watch.

Three Star- "I Liked It"

Currently available on Netflix Instant Viewing.

Here is the original trailer for you viewing pleasure.







4 comments:

  1. I know you know I love that film. Can't help myself! It's a must for anyone who loves their kid, especially as that kid reaches the teen years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched that the other night. It is a great movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of my favorites. It's funny you wrote about it because just the other day I was thinking about writing about the night a couple weeks before I got married when Daddy and I were home alone and it was on TV. We'd seen it a bunch of times together in years past and decided to watch again. We started the night on opposite sides of the couch and ended crying in each others arms. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I referenced this very film just the other day whilst trying to buy the exact number of rolls needed for the sausages I had just bought. Which as the film tells us is impossible.

    ReplyDelete